Calicut Medical College
Govt.Medical College, Calicut is a premier medical college located in the city of Kozhikode in Kerala,. It was established in 1957 as the second medical college in Kerala. Since then the institution has grown into a premier centre of medical education in the state. The vast and sprawling Medical College campus is spread over an extensive area of 270 acres (1.1 km²) and is located about 8 km east from the heart of Kozhikode city. It was formerly affiliated to the University of Calicut and now to the Kerala University for Health and Sciences(KUHS). This college and allied institutions serve 40% of the population of Kerala .
The foundation stone of the college was laid on 29 May 1957 by the then Governor of Kerala, Dr. B. Ramakrishna Rao. The College was formally inaugurated on 5 August 1957 by the then minister of Health, Kerala state Dr. A. R. Menon, whose initiative and zeal were responsible for the establishment of the institution. Dr. K. N. Pisharoty, the first principal, was responsible for the task of organizing the college.
The main hospital was commissioned in 1966 with 1183 beds. It was later supplemented by the Institute of Maternal and Child Health in 1975 (610 beds), the Savithri Devi Saboo Memorial Cancer Institute (101 beds) and the Chest Hospital (100 beds). A super specialty complex, a new Block for the Institute of Maternal and Child Health, an artificial limb centre, the College of Nursing , the College of Pharmacy, Casualty (Emergency Services) complex, Samrakshana Kendram, and Vishrama Kendram were later added to the main institution. The patient load is beyond the commissioned number of total beds. Because of the patient overload, the floors and corridors are usually occupied. The Dental College was inaugurated on 16 April1984 and is at present functioning as an independent college.
From its modest beginning, the institution has grown steadily for more than 53 years. The annual intake of undergraduate students has been increased from 50 to 250. The consolidation of undergraduate medical education was achieved in the 1960s. The 1970s witnessed the establishment and expansion of postgraduate medical education in various branches. Now the college provides PG in 28 disciplines. With the establishment of training programmes in the super specialties, the institution further widened its academic horizon. Now this college has Super Speciality courses in 10 departments. During the last decade almost all modern specialty services in medical care have been developed in the institution including kidney transplantation. A well equipped Cardiac Catheterization Lab and Tele Cobalt Therapy are already there in the hospital. A well equipped Medical Education Unit is functioning.. The college also conducts degree and PG courses in Nursing and Pharmacy and degree and diploma courses in Medical Laboratory technology. The Medical library, almost all of the departments and offices of the college and hospitals are provided with computer facilities. Action is being taken for networking among the hospitals, departments and offices.
The latest additions to the collegiate hospital are the Multistoried Super Specialty Complex (SSB), New Block for Institute of Maternal and Child Health and the Institute of Sports Medicine. The super speciality Complex for MCH was inaugurated on 23rd September
2006. The modern hospital unit was started with outpatient clinics of the super specialties exclusively. Later the inpatient wards also startedfunctioning. It has the state of the art cardiac cath lab, MRI Scan, Doppler ultra sound and digital radiography system. Efforts are on to establish a modern modular theatre complex in this building at a cost of 20 crore.
The renovated IMCH building constructed under the NRHM Scheme was inaugurated by the Hon. Health Minister P.K.Sreemathy Teacher on 18-12-2010. Hon. Health Minister also inaugurated the State Institute of Sports Medicine in Medical College Campus on 18.12.10. The new golden jubilee block for IMCH built with the aid of NRHM was inaugurated by The Hon’ble Minister for Home Affairs for state Sri. Mullapppally Ramachandran on 27.02.2011